Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Vonda Shepard concert!


I was waiting at the bus stop the other day when I spotted a poster for a Vonda Shepard concert. If you've ever watched the show Ally McBeal, Vonda Shepard is the piano player that sings in the bar that Ally and the other lawyers always go to. I had bought one of Vonda's CDs (called Heart and Soul: New Songs from Ally Mcbeal) back in middle school and she has been one of my all-time favorite artists ever since! To me her music is a mix of soul, soft rock, r&b, and maybe even country. She sings some oldies too and though I don't really listen to this genre so much, her songs have always been comfort-music to me :). So I was super excited to find out that she was on tour here!

DSC00632
I normally don't pay much attention to these ads but I'm glad I caught this one! I couldn't believe it... I didn't realize that she was still singing :p and I didn't think most people even knew who she was. I had to google it to make sure to myself that it was actually her :p.

DSC00636
Camilla (a friend from church and small group!) and I after having just arrived at "Bikini" - the name of the club where the concert was held. "Bikini" here means toast (as in bread) haha.

DSC00657
She opened the show with a song called "From the Sun", from her brand new album. I really liked this concert because there wasn't much waiting time. She just came right out and started playing!

DSC00676
During the first half of the show she played a lot of new songs which I didn't know so well (yet). Then towards the end, she started playing songs from Ally Mcbeal and it kind of felt like you were in the Ally McBeal show :p.

The band was great too. At first they didn't seem too special but then Vonda introduced them and it was really quite impressive. Her guitarists had played with Tina Turner, Bruce Springsteen, and Johnny Cash to name a few. And the drummer used to play for Smash Mouth!

DSC00692
She ended the show with the Ally McBeal theme song! This was great because everyone knew it and sang along :D. Then she got encored (twice!) and came back to sing a few more songs, including Ally's "song"... You know, the one she would always have in her head because her therapist told her to pick a song to cheer herself up with :p.

DSC00693
Vonda came out in the end for autographs and pictures!

I was a little hesitant to go to this concert at first because it cost 30 euros, which seemed a little pricey to me - considering that I had gone to a Beethoven symphony orchestra concert in the fancy Palau de la Musica Catalana for just 12 euros. But in the end it was definitely one of the better concerts that I've been to in a while! Vonda is so good live and if you haven't yet heard her music, I would highly recommend it :)!

1 comment:

  1. what about the bass player? what famous band did he play with?

    ReplyDelete