I also kept worrying about whether or not I'd be able to follow the Spanish sermon but lucky for me, there was a group from New York visiting today and their pastor gave the message in English while someone translated in Spanish. Thank God for helping me ease into life here one step at a time :). It was nice seeing familiar East-coasters (do people say East-coasters?) so far away from home. They were a group from Nyack College, a Christian college in NY, and they were in Barcelona for a class. I think they were studying christianity/religion in the urban context so they were going around visiting lots of local churches. How cooool right?
Ooh we also sang "How Great is Our God" in Spanish :D! "Cuan grande es nuestro Dios". I thought that was pretty awesome. We also sang another song in Spanish, which I knew in English but I can't remember the name. It's on the tip of my tongue argh!! Anyway, aside from the language and the geographic location, everything about today's service was exactly the same as the US and even Beijing. I think that that is just so neat. It reminds me that we are really all the same deep down, no matter where we are from or what culture we are brought up in.
Even though I was at a local Spanish church, for some reason all the people I met weren't local... haha. I met a family visiting from Denmark, a couple from Holland, someone from Brazil and another person from Panama. And of course all the New Yorkers. Oh yes one thing I'm not so used to yet is the kissing. WHat?! Kissing?!?! Haha... I mean like when you greet people here (no matter male or female, old or young) you kiss them on both cheeks. Much more intimate than a handshake.
Anyway, after lunch I went with Kindra and the family from Denmark down to the Barceloneta for seafood. The Barceloneta is where there is a port and... a BEACH! Can you believe I live within 15 minutes walking distance to the BEACH? It's beeaaaaauuuutttttifffuuuullllllll. It's like walking from 15 West up to Pembroke campus. Only instead of arriving at Pembroke, I arrive at the BEACH! Muahahaa...
Pictures!
Ooh we also had wine over lunch. That's another thing I'm not so used to. I've heard that in Europe ordering wine is like ordering water in the US, and it's most often cheaper than water too. Kindra tells me that wine is often free at bars and then you have to pay if you want a coke!
One thing I'm starting to realize is that blogging takes up a good amount of time. I'm almost upset that my internet connection here is so good. Haha... Even though I felt handicapped without internet here my first day, I really don't like being too "connected" all the time. I am amazed at the power of the internet. I can keep in touch with people on a daily, even hourly basis. I guess that's why no one believes in snail mail anymore :(. I am a big believer though. Give me your address and I'll give you mine so we can send real mail to each other!
After lunch Kindra, Viviani, and I watched the newest Indiana Jones (my first time watching any of the Indiana Jones movies). Well, more like I watched while my roommates took a siesta hehee. I am liking Shia LaBeouf more and more :D.
Two more days before school starts! I guess I should take advantage of the fact that I don't know many people here yet. Like enjoy the free time to myself before things get busy... I think that students here get split up so you either have classes all morning or all afternoon/night. I hope I get morning classes because I hear the afternoon ones go until like 11pm, aka my bedtime :s. Speaking of bedtime, it is almost my bedtime!
you're in Spain already! wow, time flies, and I have a lot of blog reading to catch up on :) it sounds like you're all settled into your new home (i'm really glad your roomate/living situation worked out!), and even into a new church! i remember how warm i felt the first time i went to ruf and the songs were all the same as home too. i'm sure that soon enough, you'll understand the Spanish sermons and songs no problem. have you joined a fellowship already, or are you still checking things out?
ReplyDeletefrom your pictures, the area you're in looks so beautiful! i wish there were a beach 15 min from new dorm. actually in vancouver there are beaches everywhere too, but it's way too cold now...haha always proud of my homeland i am
haha i thought only the French greeted each other with kisses, i didn't know they did that in spain too- maybe i'll move to france or spain :) but i can see how it'd be awkward at first. imagine if the RUF guys replaced our handshakes and man-hugs with kisses! ugh
anyways, have a good first day at school! let's talk sometime when you have a chance. my skype name is actually josephine.lai1, cause i'm at home...
keep the blogs coming!
Josh, that was a COMPLETELY unnecessary image in my mind >_< If we were to convert to the Spanish way of greeting, we would need quite a few more girls in our RUF, eh? Hahahaha (I'm kidding =p )
ReplyDeleteTHIS IS SO WEIRD JOYCE. We sang "How Great is Our God" today at Ren! At least, I'm pretty sure it is the same song. But that's awesome!
And just keep rubbing your closeness to the beach in our faces =[. Is it warm or cold out there?
Also, feel free to answer me here cause I check your blog often enough that I would see it =]
hahaha, i'm glad you're enjoying the B-B-BEACH! i can feel the excitement from here. ps - need moar pikchurrz of BEACH!
ReplyDeletesnail mail! send it to us. My box# is 3354. send your address via pm or im.
mike what's pm?
ReplyDeletehey josh you can start greeting people like that in ruf ;). then tell me how the reaction goes hehee.
wait so nick you're back on campus already? are you doing wintersession?
No silly. You know I live like 10 minutes from Providence/Brown/RISD/Ren. I like consistency, so I've been still going to Ren throughout vacation. So thats why I was there yesterday. =]
ReplyDeleteohhhh i seeeeee haha. compared to pvd/beijing it's warm here. but otherwise it's kind of cold. it was 5 degrees celsius tonight. i went to a parade on the street and i felt quite cold!
ReplyDelete